- Set your grinder to its most coarse setting, and check a little of its output before doing the full grind. You want the grind to be chunky like fine breadcrumbs. If you don't own a grinder no worries, let your local coffee shop grind it for you and tell them what size you need.
- Sterilise a large container. For trendy people use a mason jar for practicality use an old milk container :) Add the ground coffee and water to your container working from a 1:8 coffee-to-water ratio. Put the grounds in the bottom of the container, and cover with the cold water.
- Stir or shake the container until it is all combined. Cover and leave to steep for 18-24 hours in the fridge. (So it is ready to go!!!)
- When brewed, strain into a large bowl through a sieve to remove the larger grounds and discard. With the remaining liquid use a muslin sheet or a filter to slowly pour the coffee back into the original container. The first time you do it there may be a lot of residue grind.
- After two or three times you should see less residue. If you cannot seem to sift it all out don't sweat it, the grind may have been a bit fine. Make it a bit chunkier next time!
- I serve my cold brew with just milk. It is a bit rich compared to the average cold coffee so feel free to add some sugar!
- Cover and refrigerate. It can last up to month. But let's be real...you will drink it all before then.
I got my recipe from Jamie Oliver! :)